NEW HARLEYFORD MOTOR YACHT CLUB DATA PRIVACY
NOTICE 2020 GENERAL DATA PROTECTION REGULATIONS (GDPR)
At New Harleyford Motor Yacht Club (“NHMYC”, “we” or “us” “the Club”) we are committed to
promoting motor yacht sailing and encouraging training and social activities. In order to do
this, we collect and use personal data.
This Data Privacy Notice describes what personal information we collect or obtain about you
and how we use it in line with the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) effective 25 th
May 2018. An important change under the new regulations is that we need to provide a clearly
written Data Privacy Notice (this document) to explain how we collect and use personal
information and to obtain your explicit consent to retain your personal details.
WHY DO WE COLLECT AND USE MEMBERS INFORMATION?
By member we include all categories of NHMYC membership under club
rules. We collect and use information to:
• Administer membership, training and boat records and collect fees due.
• Contact members to keep them informed about sailing and training events and
other activities at the club.
• Publish a yearly handbook that includes details of officers and committee members,
either in hard copy format or on the Club’s private social media page (for the time being
• Comply with our rules for notifying members of Committee Meetings, the AGM or any
SGM and other formal commitments.
• For gathering aggregate data for RYA and other statistical reporting such as
WHAT INFORMATION DO WE RECEIVE OR COLLECT?
The categories of personal information that we may collect, and hold
• Personal information as requested on the appropriate NHMYC forms whether
completed and returned electronically or on paper, such as your name, address, e-mail
address, telephone and/or mobile number and boat name.
• For the purpose of obtaining complementary boat show tickets, the above information
may be collected from members who have specifically requested tickets via the NHMYC
web site and agreed use of their information for the purpose. (See below).
• Characteristics (in particular disability) for RYA reporting purposes (where appropriate).
• Relevant training records (where appropriate) of instructional and safety boat staff, such
as qualifications, experience and any accompanying notes and observations.
• Photos or videos of members taking part in club events having signed on our entry forms,
to agree to us using pictures for publicity purposes, other than on the Club’s private
• Personal information and photos of visitors taking part in social events, having signed
our entry or consent forms to agree to us holding this information and to using pictures
for publicity purposes.
• No images of children under 18 years of age will be published except with the signed
prior consent of a parent or legal guardian.
• Records of prize winners and the engraving of names on
WHERE IS THE DATA KEPT?
• Electronic data is stored on the hard drives of the following Committee Officers’
computers. (Back up copies may also be held on private ‘Cloud’ drives to help protect
against computer failures.)
• Hon. Treasurer
• Membership Secretary
• Social Secretary
• Hon Secretary
and where the roles are carried out by other committee members as authorised by the
• All paper records are stored in locked cabinets in the private premises of the above
• Membership records are only accessible to those members in committees and in club
roles who require access for their respective operational purposes.
• The printed year book and NHMYC web site contains information about club officers and
other members of the club responsible in different capacities for sailing and training.
• NHMYC’s private social media pages will also contain some limited data and images of
members, which is only visible to members who have requested use of the facility and the
• The Membership List is also stored on our NHMYC Google web drive which is SSL
encrypted and can only be accessed with a password.
WHO DO WE SHARE MEMBERSHIP INFORMATION WITH?
NHMYC will not share your personal identifying data with any third party or external body,
except those stated in this document (below). We share information within the club for
operational or on a need to know basis with appropriate club members as follows:
• To receive the necessary information to fulfil their duties such as Cruising in
Company Leader of cruises and for Training Officers to organise and run training
• Any medical information that is shared in confidence with NHMYC helps us to
make appropriate arrangements, minimise risk for all concerned and consider
possible emergencies, especially those which could occur on the water.
• As well as being available in an emergency for First Aid purposes, medical information
may be seen by a Training Officer or a course instructor responsible for safety.
• Dietary information may be shared with a restaurant providing meals to members,
notably Harleyford Golf Club.
• Aggregate attendance and disability data is shared with the RYA for statistical purposes,
but this does not include personal information.
• Videos and photos of members and visitors taking part in club events may be posted on
• We may also disclose your personal information to third parties if under a clear, legal duty
to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any lawful obligation.
• We may share your personal information at your request, with Guy Girling (or a suitable
alternate) of Tingdene Boat Sales, through NHMYC, for the provision of Tickets for any
Boat Shows by email.
WHEN AND HOW DO WE DESTROY THE DATA?
• NHMYC Membership and Training Data will be retained for the year of your membership
and updated each year as appropriate on renewal. Where your membership lapses, we
will within a reasonable time of the lapse occurring cease actively processing your data,
but may retain your data for up to one year for the purpose of facilitating the renewal by
you of your membership or in the case of continuing administrative need such as unpaid
• Personal information will be deleted on computers and/or shredded from any file.
• Committee members and Club Officers will be reminded to delete/shred contact details
on termination or non-renewal of membership.
Please note: You may ask NHMYC members to make contact with you for reasons other than
those in connection with NHMYC and its activities. In these circumstances NHMYC will not be
able to impose or exercise controls concerning your personal identifying data.
USE OF SOCIAL MEDIA
NHMYC as an organisation uses Facebook (on private pages) to promote the Club. All
NHMYC members should take notice that they should not make any post which includes
personal information of another member that has been entrusted to the Club without their
HOW YOU CAN ACCESS YOUR PERSONAL DATA
Under the Data Protection Regulations, you have the right to request information that we hold.
To make a request, please contact the Data Protection Officer – Lisa Rothery who is also a
NHMYC Club Officer
You have the right to:
• Access this information within a month of making the request.
• Have mistakes corrected and in certain circumstances, erased or destroyed.
• Object to processing data that is likely to cause damage or distress, for example, any form
of discrimination, damage to your reputation or any significant economic or social
• Complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).
• Withdraw your permission given under the NHMYC Data Privacy Notice (this
• Prevent process for the purpose of direct marketing, albeit NHMYC does not use data
for direct marketing.
• Object to decisions being taken by automated means, albeit NHMYC operational and
Club decisions are taken only by the responsible club members.
• It is the responsibility of all NHMYC members and Club Officers to ensure that personal
information provided to the Club, for example current address, is accurate and up to date.
• Members whose role involves the collection, maintenance and processing of personal
information about other members, instructional staff, trainees and suppliers or any other
individuals with whom the Club has dealings are responsible for following the Club’s
procedures on data protection.
• If as a member, you choose to opt out of sharing your information, it is your responsibility
to make alternative arrangements to ensure that you are aware of and fulfil your club
responsibilities/duties. Please note that your obligation under the Club’s rules to carry out
the responsibilities/duties allocated must still be adhered to.
• For the purpose of GDPR, overall responsibility for ensuring the Club complies with
its data protection obligations rests with the Club Commodore/Treasurer, overseen
by the Committee.
YOUR CONSENT TO THIS PRIVACY NOTICE
An important change to data protection brought in by GDPR is that we need to obtain your
explicit consent to retain your personal details. This means you opt in to NHMYC holding your
personal data rather than opt Out.
From the start of the 2020 season NHMYC membership forms will include a box with this
declaration. This is to provide your consent for us holding your personal identifying data and
also, explicitly, to sharing it with other members to fulfil their respective roles, as well as
contacting you by email on Club matters relating.
All emails sent by the system contain a tracking pixel. This is used to track whether each email has been opened by the recipient, and when. This information can be viewed by those users of the system with permission to view email delivery reports. We do not display any information regarding the location of the recipient. Note that the tracking pixel is only activated if the recipient chooses to download images into their email client.